Up to 3 PhD student positions in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security
The Swedish Defence University is internationally renowned in the areas of defence, crisis management and security. We educate the civilian and military leaders, experts and researchers who will analyse and manage current and future crisis situations and security problems.
The Swedish Defence University announces up to 3 PhD student positions in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security
The sub-field of Crisis Management and Security adds to a broad range of approaches within Political Science, including International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory and Public Administration. It also connects to related fields outside of Political Science. Among the central research topics of this sub-field are the politics of security and the prevention and management of crises. These topics involve analyses of threats, conflicts, decision-making processes, and ethical dilemmas—all of which incorporate various levels of analysis, ranging from the individual level to global affairs.
Doctoral students should primarily devote themselves to their own education at the doctoral level in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security. The main task is to write a doctoral thesis in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security equivalent to 165 ECTS credits, alongside completing courses of 75 ECTS credits. Teaching and administrative tasks normally comprise 20 % of the doctoral student position. Doctoral studies encompass 240 ECTS credits, i.e. four years. The total time for the position is five years if 20 % teaching and administrative tasks are included.
General entry requirements:
- a completed master degree or equivalent, or
- completed courses equivalent to at least 240 ECTS credits, of which at least 60 ECTS credits must be in the second cycle, or
- the acquisition of equivalent knowledge in Sweden or elsewhere.
Specific entry requirements for doctoral studies in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security:
- completed courses of at least 30 ECTS credits at an advanced level in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security or equivalent,
- an approved independent thesis (e.g. master thesis) in Political Science with a focus on Crisis Management and Security or the equivalent of at least 15 ECTS credits at an advanced level,
- completed courses of another 90 ECTS credits in subjects relevant for the programme, and
- sufficient knowledge of English (equivalent to the successful completion of English 6 upper secondary school level). For other applicants documented knowledge of English is required by internationally approved tests (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge ESOL).
Selection is based on an assessment of the applicant’s ability to complete the programme successfully. Assessment criteria are listed in order of importance:
- the scientific quality of previous work and relevant studies,
- the scientific quality and feasibility of the applicant’s research proposal, and
- other merits of relevance to the programme, as well as a demonstrated ability to execute the research proposal within the given time frame.
Applications must include:
- Copies of all degree certificates and grades confirming that you meet the general and specific entry requirements for the position
- A CV with contact details to two referees
- A copy of your thesis at an advanced level and other publications that you wish to submit (maximum 3 texts)
- A research plan that is both backward- and forward-looking. Begin by shortly describing yourself and your personal and study/professional background; reflect critically on your previous theses and possible previous research experience; propose a preliminary doctoral thesis project with a special focus on relevance and realisation in light of your previous theses, the state of the art and your knowledge of the political science environment at the Swedish Defence University (no more than 3 pages excluding references, 12 point Times New Roman, single spaced).
- If the applicant is not a Swedish citizen a copy of the passport must be included.
Submit your application through the Swedish Defence University’s recruitment system via the “Logga in och sök jobbet” [Log in to apply for the job] link on the job listing page. Mark your application with reference number Ö 296/2020. The last application date is August 17, 2020.
Only complete applications with all required documentation will be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ascertain that the application is complete and complies with requirements stated in the advertisement. The application is to be done in a Scandinavian language or in English. Authorised translations must be provided for documents in other languages. Applicants may be called to interviews in the Autumn of 2020 so that decisions about admission to postgraduate studies and employment can be finalised well before the Spring Semester 2021.
Employment is classified as full-time (100%) and is temporary in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 5. The position is placed at the Political Science Division at the Department of Strategy, Security, and Leadership in Stockholm from January 2021.
The Swedish Defence University strives for equality and diversity in all occupations. We welcome applicants from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. It is self-evident to us that within an inclusive working environment our employees should be able to combine their working life with active parenthood.
Further information about the position is available from:
- Associate Professor Simon Hollis, Director of PhD Studies (simon.hollis[at]fhs.se
- HR-generalist Kia Vejdegren (kia.vejdegren[at]fhs.se)
Union representatives: Fredrik Fors (SACO) (fredrik.fors[at]fhs.se), Anders Oltorp (OF) and Christian Friman (OFR), Tel: 08-553 425 00.
|Type of employment||Permanent position|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||January 2021|
|Number of positions||1|
|Reference number||Ö 296/2020|
|Last application date||17.Aug.2020 11:59 PM CET|