Call for Papers: 42nd Annual Conference of the Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies
The Association will hold its 42nd Conference, organised by the School of Modern Languages Cardiff University, from 1-3 September 2021. The conference will be hosted entirely online.
You are cordially invited to offer a paper, panel, or workshop presentation. Proposals for individual papers as well as panels on specific themes (max. four papers per panel) are encouraged. Any proposed panel should be organised by one convenor who will be responsible for inviting the speakers and chairing the session. You are also invited to suggest any speakers you think would be willing to offer a paper, but please note that ACIS does not normally offer a fee or expenses for speakers.
ACIS encourages proposals from postgraduate students and a small number of partial conference fee bursaries are available – please see application process details below and encourage your students to consider this.
Below are the suggested thematic areas for papers and panels, which must advance understanding of nineteenth, twentieth and twenty-first century socio-cultural, economic and political issues and realities and relate primarily to Spain and/or Portugal and transnational issues and processes relating to the Iberian Peninsula within the wider Lusophone and Hispanic worlds. Both single-disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives are encouraged and the themes listed below are not exclusive.
- Politics, Government, International Relations, the EU, Nationalism, Regionalisms, Transnational issues and processes
- Economics, Business, Labour, Social and Welfare issues
- Cultural Production in all its forms (e.g. film, television, journalism, literature, media, advertising, digital communication & social networking)
- Social and Cultural Studies (e.g. identity, gender, ethnicity, popular culture)
- Leisure, Tourism, Sport
- Contemporary History
- Language, Linguistics, Language Policy
- Education and Pedagogy
- The selection of panels/papers will be made by the Conference programme convenors in consultation with the Executive Committee and these decisions will be final. Papers will be allocated 30 minutes on the programme (20 mins for the paper 10 mins for discussion).
We will shortly be announcing the keynote speakers for the conference on our ACIS website. Keynote speakers in previous years have included novelist Use Lahoz, journalist and writer Elvira Lindo, historian and diplomat Professor Angel Viñas and the Association’s President, historian Professor Paul Preston.
If you wish to offer a paper, please see the Guidelines for Papers and send your proposal to the ACIS 2021 Programme Convenors (Susana Relvas, CEFH - Universidade Católica Portuguesa and Cindy Pinhal, Farmingdale State College, SUNY) at the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by MONDAY, 26th April 2021. Informal enquiries concerning papers and topics are welcome before the deadlines. Conference booking can be made at ACIS registration 2021 and there is more information about the Association at https://www.iberianstudies.net/wp/conferences